Northumberland Cigarette Tax Hike

September 29, 2023 by News Staff

Coming January 1st, an additional 40-cents per package tax on cigarettes in Northumberland, following a decision made at this month’s Board of Supervisors Meeting by unanimous vote. Newsontheneck.com reports the Supervisors also voted to join the Chesapeake Bay Region Cigarette Tax Board (CBRCTB) that’s run by the Northern Neck Planning District Commission (NNPDC). Joining that board means the County will give up 5% of its cigarette tax revenue, and in return, will get the remaining 95% while leaving virtually all the work to the NNPDC.